Have you ever taken the time to read the privacy statement of the sites you visit online? Below are just a few of the very basic details you will find within these statements. I think they should be required to title it the NON-PRIVACY STATEMENT.
Information THEY Collect
- Contact information, such as your name, address, telephone number, and email address
- Login and access credentials (such as username and password)
- Payment information, such as your payment card number and expiration date.
- Date of birth.
- The geolocation of your device (such as if you opt to use the “Find Near Me” feature of the mobile-optimized portion of our websites or our Mobile Applications).
- Social media IDs, such as for Facebook or Twitter
- Personal information you submit in connection with a job application on the Career Websites, such as your name, contact information, Social Security Number, date of birth, employment status, employment history, education information, references, résumé, immigration status and ability to work legally in the United States, driver license information, personal or family employment, criminal record.
Information THEY Collect by Automated Means
Cookies are files that websites send to your computer or other Internet-connected device to uniquely identify your browser or to store information or settings on your device. The Site may use HTTP cookies, HTML5 cookies, Flash cookies and other types of local storage (such as browser-based or plugin-based local storage). Your browser may tell you how to be notified when you receive certain types of cookies and how to restrict or disable certain cookies. You also may be able to delete your Flash cookies or adjust your Flash cookie settings by visiting the Adobe Flash Website Storage Settings Panel and Global Storage Settings Panel. Please note, however, that without cookies you may not be able to use all of the features of their Site or other websites and online services.
They most certainly will use third-party Web analytics services on the Site, such as those of Google Analytics. These service providers use the technology described above to help analyze how users use the Site. The information collected by the technology (including your IP address) will be disclosed to these service providers, who use the information to evaluate your use of the Site.
They may use the information collected through automated means to provide a better tailored shopping experience and for market research, data analytics and system administration purposes, such as to determine whether you’ve visited them before or are new to the Site, and THEY WILL SAY for compliance with their legal obligations, policies and procedures, but it is to sell you shit! They also may use your information to target custom content and ads to you on this and other websites, including as described in the Interest-Based Advertising section FINE PRINT.
Information Collected Automatically by the Mobile Applications
If you elect to install the Mobile Applications, the information they collect may include the following:
- Your geographic location
- Information about your use of the Mobile Applications
- The type of device you use and its operating system
- Identification details of your device (e.g., unique device identifier)
- IP address
This information will allow push notifications and other targeted marketing designed specifically for your shopping preferences such as special offers based upon areas in which you may be shopping, and shopping lists with specific items located for your convenience when you are shopping a particular stores, as well as for other in-store mapping and routing services. It also may be used for the other purposes specified in their specific Privacy Statement.
Information Collected Automatically by Store Wi-Fi
If you elect to use the free Store Wi-Fi, they will collect information such as the following:
- The URLs and content of the pages you visit on any website using your mobile device, and, on some websites, information you submit through online forms.
- The apps on your mobile device that use the Store Wi-Fi.
- Your geographic locations within a store and the surrounding area within the range of the Store Wi-Fi.
- How long you use the Store Wi-Fi at particular locations.
- The type of device you use and its operating system.
- Identification details of your device (e.g., unique device identifier and MAC address).
- Browser information and IP address.
- The address of the store where you use the Store Wi-Fi.
This information will allow targeted marketing designed specifically for your shopping preferences such as specific coupons based upon the sites and pages you visited, special offers based upon areas in which you may be shopping in the store, including competitive offers based upon other websites that you may be viewing, shopping lists with specific items located for your convenience when you are shopping a particular store, as well as for other in-store mapping and routing services. It also may be used for the other purposes specified in their own specific Privacy Statement.
Sharing of Information
They may disclose information about you (i) if required to do so by law, regulation or legal process, such as a court order or subpoena; (ii) in response to requests by government agencies, such as law enforcement authorities; or (iii) when we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to prevent physical, financial or other harm, injury or loss; (iv) in connection with an investigation of suspected or actual unlawful activity; or (v) to assist in collecting debt owed by you.
They reserve the right to transfer personal information they have about you in the event they sell or transfer all or a portion of their business or assets (including, without limitation, in the event of a reorganization, dissolution or liquidation). Should such a sale or transfer occur, they will use reasonable efforts to direct the transferee to use personal information you have provided to in a manner that is consistent with their Privacy Statement. Ya RIGHT SURE, because they really care about you!
So in a nutshell, the decision to be connected in this connected world means that you no longer have any privacy and all the data they collect about you, your device, where you go, and personal information such as your social security, drivers license, home address and more is for sale. So keep depositing those checks from your cell phone, because it’s easy, and keep doing your banking from your cell phone because it’s easy. But don’t be surprised when your identity is taken and your account is drained because you handed them the means by which to do it.